Unable to make the most of your Netgear WiFi extender even after installing it properly? Not to worry! We are here to help you out. In this write-up, we will shed light on some proven tips to help you get the best performance from your Netgear wireless range extender. Continue reading.
Get the Best Performance From Your Netgear Extender
1. Position Your Extender Correctly
To ensure that your extender works flawlessly, choose the correct placement for it. Remember to pick up a higher, open, and central location for your extender. Furthermore, the extender should not be placed nearby physical obstructions such as concrete walls, behind the curtains, and inside a cupboard.
Also, electronic gadgets such as microwaves, refrigerators, and Bluetooth speakers should be kept at a far distance away from your Netgear range extender. Such devices can create an interference in the path of WiFi signals incoming from your extender. Doing so will help you get rid of intermittent WiFi connectivity issues.
2. Change the WiFi Channel
Which WiFi channel you are using? Ensure to use the least crowded channel. You can change the WiFi channel of your Netgear WiFi range extender by following the steps below:
- Put your extender on power.
- Connect it to the router.
- Open a web browser on your PC.
- Pull up an internet browser of your choice.
- Navigate to the mywifiext.net login web page.
- Insert the admin username and password and hit Log In.
- Once logged in, click on the Wireless Settings section.
- Select WiFi channel as per your requirements.
- At last, hit the Save button.
3. Update the Firmware of Your Netgear Extender
Netgear introduces new firmware versions on a regular basis to improve security, fix the existing bugs, and offer new features. So, it is always recommended to keep your Netgear extender’s firmware updated. Here’s how to update the firmware of your Netgear range extender:
- Make sure that your Netgear extender is properly turned on.
- Access mywifiext web-based page via an internet browser.
- Next, go to the Firmware Update section.
- If you see any new firmware version available for your extender, follow the on-screen prompts to get the job done.
That’s how you can perform the Netgear extender firmware update. This helps you in fixing all WiFi-related issues.
Bonus Tip: Ensure to provide an uninterrupted power supply to your Netgear wireless extender throughout the firmware update process.
4. Change the Default WiFi Password
Netgear WiFi range extender comes with a default admin password using which you can connect to your WiFi network with ease. However, if you leave the default password as it is, anyone who knows the make and model number of your extender can easily connect to your WiFi network. As a result, you will experience slow WiFi issues.
Therefore, it is recommended to change the Netgear extender’s default password to something more secure. Simply log in to your extender using 192.168.1.250 IP and create a stronger password for your Netgear WiFi network.
These were the best ways to make the most of your Netgear WiFi range extender. So, what are you waiting for? Just follow the above-mentioned steps and take your WiFi speed and range to the next level.